Assessor: Ask Yourself...If you are questioning the assessed value of your property, please ask yourself:
- What did I pay for the property?
- What would I sell the property for?
- How much money have I spent improving the property?
- Did I do any of the work myself, which results in lower construction costs but would not affect what I would ask for the property on the open market?
- Am I questioning the assessed value, or my tax bill?
- Am I interested in learning the process by which assessed valuations are determined?
- Have I visited the Assessor's Office recently, or used the Sales Reports on the website, to see what properties are currently selling for in Mahaska County?