Mahaska County, Iowa
Duties and Responsibilities
- Make appointments to non-elected county offices and to county boards and commissions. Fill vacancies in elected county offices occurring in the interim between elections except vacancies occurring in its own membership.
- Approve budget proposals of county offices and levy property taxes to raise revenues.
- Review claims against Mahaska County and order payment of those claims.
- Manage all county buildings and grounds.
- Supervise construction and maintenance of the secondary roads system.
- Oversee the health and social service needs for all county residents.
- Make official canvass of votes cast in Mahaska County for elections.
- Approve applications, on behalf of the State of Iowa, permits for beer, liquor, and cigarette sales by businesses in the unincorporated areas of the county.
- Approve homestead and military service tax credit applications.